Discussion at JISCexpo Programme Meeting
Present: Barry Norton, Cedric Mesnage, Joe Lambert, David Bretherton, Simon Dixon
Identifiers for musical works
- Too much for one project -> crowd-sourcing
- Build on MusicBrainz infrastructure?
- Use MusicNet's alignment tool to clean up MusicBrainz (MB)
- or do the MB editors do a good enough job?
- do we need to involve musicologists in MB as super-editors
- MB only covers recorded music
- Involve publishers for scores without recordings?
- BBC Radio 3 data (Nick Humphrey?)
Bootstrapping issue to attract people to site (cheese)
- does MB already provide the right interface? could write a plugin for Picard
- is there any conflict between MB's sustainability and our specialist needs
- discography = cheese
- current MB web site doesn't provide access to this data
Is the MB schema sufficient for musicologists?
- extended version of MB for classical music on data.ac.uk? -> "ClassicBrainz"
- automatic data synchronisation between systems
- academic need: works rather than recordings
- pre-populate from out of copyright material?
- or is MB sufficient for pre-populating system
- artist == composer (except modern versions)